The UPSC conducts the coveted Civil Service Exam annually to recruit the candidates for different posts under the government of India. Civil Services is considered as the prestigious profession where they will be serving the country and people.
Preparing for the prestigious Civil Services examination is a demanding yet deeply enriching experience. It is an examination that aims to choose the best talent for a career in public services of the Union of India. Clearing this exam will enable candidates to embark on a very rewarding and satisfying career in the service of the nation. The UPSC IAS exam is the toughest exam in the nation. But if approached wisely, one can crack this exam easily. This article aims to provide handy tips for beginners to prepare for the upcoming Civil Services Exam.
6 handy tips for beginners to prepare for UPSC
1. Chart out a study Schedule – The first step in any endeavour is to plan a schedule to lead further. Before you embark on your exam preparation, make a realistic study plan. Include dates and time to cover all the subjects and topics. Also incorporate a dedicated time every day for newspaper reading.
2. Reading must be a daily habit-You would already have read many of the basic books for the exam. Reading basic textbooks of all the subjects will help you in comprehensive preparation. Start with subjects that interest you so that you can cover a lot of ground in the initial phase itself. After the basic books are done with, you should move on to detailed books only where it is recommended.
3. Inculcate in practicing previous year papers- Simultaneously with book reading, start practicing questions from previous years papers. Solving past years questions help analyse your own knowledge and also familiarise you with the type of questions asked. Don’t wait till you finish the full syllabus to start writing practice.
4. Use the Internet Judiciously – Internet is an integral part of the preparation of any exam be it UPSC. It has made the life of aspirants easier in more ways than one. It offers new and exciting ways to learn. Aspirants can get the latest updates, current affairs material and notes to augment the preparation. They can also take regular quizzes to stay ahead of the competition. Availability of online videos can help solve doubts and queries there and then.
5. Revision is a must- if you are serious about clearing the UPSC exam then it is very important to revise what you study on a daily basis. Daily revision ensures maximum understanding and retention. Revision ensures that you remember whatever you read in the vast UPSC syllabus.
6. Self-Assessment – Self-assessment is very important before you appear for any exam. So it is highly recommended to do self assessment by joining test series. It will help boost your exam preparation. Test series are important instruments to know what is missing in your preparation and to understand the changes you need to make in your preparation. It will increase the accuracy and speed which are essential for both prelims and mains exam.
Following the above-mentioned tips during the preparation will not only enhance the preparation but also will definitely give an edge over other aspirants. Further assistance for the preparation of UPSC Exam is available on the given link.