6 Different Types of UK Visas to Make the Move

6 Different Types of UK Visas to Make the Move

Travelling to the UK could be exciting and enthralling. There is no greater moment of joy than to see your UK visa approval message from the Home Office. 

The travel to the UK could be for various reasons. You could be visiting for work and business, spending time with family, studying, pursuing a short term course and many more.

A visa is a provisional yet legally authorised document issued by a country’s government to any overseas national to allow them to visit, stay and leave their country after a pre-determined period. 

Types of Visas to consider to make the move

The United Kingdom has created a visa system based on the purpose of visitors under multiple visa types provisions.

Here are the UK visa types:

     Work Visas

     Business Visas

     Visitor Visas

     Study Visas

     Family Visas

     Settlement Visas 

 Work and Business visas in the UK 

Tier 5 visas – Temporary worker

This visa is for short-term work in the UK and offers a variety of categories it includes:

      Charity worker

      Religious worker

      Creative and sporting

      Youth Mobility Scheme visa

      Government authorised exchange

      International agreement 

General Visitor visa

If you wish to visit the UK leisurely on a family trip or meet a friend, you may need to apply for a General visitor visa. A general visitor visa does not allow you to do any kind of work, whether paid or unpaid, marry anyone, or live in the UK visa regular visitation. You must intend to leave the country immediately after your visit.  

You can apply for a General Visitor visa for as long as 3 months before you go to the UK and can stay for up to 6 months. 

Student visa

In case you’re 16 years or more and have been offered a seat to learn at a college or school in the UK, you can apply for a student visa. You will have the option to talk, read, compose and understand English, just as you have sufficient cash to pay for your course and backing yourself. The time you’re permitted to remain in the UK depends upon the length of your course. The student visa has replaced the Tier 4(General) Student visa. 

Marriage visitor visa

A part of the family visa involves gaining a marriage visitor visa. You can apply for a Marriage Visitor visa if you want to get married or register in a civil partnership in the UK and you don’t intend to stay or settle in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership. 

Skilled Worker Visa 

Skilled Worker Visa has replaced tier 2 visa. If you have an offer of a skilled job in the UK and are looking to move to the UK and work for a long time, this visa will be required. If you were outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, you can apply through the skilled worker’s route. The UK employer you will be working for must be a licensed sponsor that can prove you’ve got the skills for the job.

This visa is valid for 5 years and 14 days.

This visa is your direct route to settlement. The skilled workers after staying and working for continuous 5 years in the UK in specified circumstances as per the domestic rules and regulations can also seek British citizenship. However, the eligibility requirements of a good character, passing the Life in the UK test, English proficiency, age of 18 years and above must be fulfilled. 

Take legal advice 

It important to consider the right visa category and a well-defined purpose of visit, else your visa can be rejected. To avoid any visa rejected you must seek legal advice from the best law firm in UK immigration, London. A Y & J Solicitors have been helping more than 4000 clients with successful visa applications.


Their bespoke consultation has helped many clients to get visas hassle-free.

Read More: 15 Tips to Prepare and Pass the CISA Examination